Saturday, April 18, 2009

New Budget Attempt

So we (I) have tried to find a good budgeting program that could help keep us on track with our financial goals and I have not found a good match quite yet. Perhaps we should nail down our financial goals a bit more but at this point, no debt and moderate, necessary spending seems to be working.

I had tried www.mint.com and liked many of its features but ultimately it seemed like more of an "accounting" software than a family style "budget" software. That doesn't mean it won't work for you, but for me, the check writing, non cash depositing in the ATM, old school type financial person, it was a bit much.

I just heard about another program that seems to be custom made for me called www.pearbudget.com. Now, I will admit that I just completed the set up process (super easy) about 10 seconds ago but I am so excited. This looks like just the thing to get us on track. I had created my own excell spreadsheet that was very similar to pearbudget but somehow I wasn't quite so excited about it when I had to do all the calculations myself.

Alex and I are going to sit down tomorrow during nap time (aka the 10 minutes that both children might be asleep at the same time) and figure out our budget categories and amounts and then we will be off and running with pearbudget.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment